Tuesday 20 September 2011

Contrast between Lust and Love



atmendriya priti vancha - tare bali kama
krsnendriya priti iccha dhare preme nama

"Wanting to satisgy the desires of one's own senses is called kama, lust, and wanting to satisfy Krishna's senses is called prema, pure loving devotion."

(CC Adi 4.165)

We see the contrast between kama and prema in the behaviour of Arjuna. At first he wanted to satisy his own senses: "My dear Krsma, I cannot possibly kill my cousin-brothers, my grand father, or my teacher Dronacarya." But after Krsna had imparted the intstructions of Bhagavad Gita to Arjuna and then asked him "What is your decision?" Arjuna replied:

nasto mohah smrtir labdha tvat prasadan mayacyuta
sthiti 'smi gata-sandehah karisye vacanam tava

"My dear Krishna, by Your grace all my illusion is now gone and I have regained my original Krishna Consciousness." And what is his conclusion? "My duty is to satisy You, not my senses." In this way Arjuna again came to his position as Krishna's devotee.

- Srila Prabhupada

No comments:

Post a Comment