Wednesday 24 August 2011

Controlling the restless monkey!

When one begins to concentrate on Japa, he has to coax the mind just as one coaxes an ignorant child. Speak to the mind: “Oh mind, you stupid monkey! Why are you always jumping here and there to foolish ideas and suggestions? Pursuing these material thoughts will only bring you and me endless suffering. Look at Radha-Syamasundara- the ultimate beauty, the perfect Divine Couple – radiating joy, compassion and love.”

Cherishing memories of sensual pleasures while chanting japa revives the false ego and fills one with the “I am the enjoyer” spirit. At the times like this, one must reinforce his seva vrtti (thoughts for service) by repeatedly telling himself: aham brahmasmi, krsnera nitya-dasa, “I am not this body! I am pure spirit soul, part and parcel of Krsna! I am not the enjoyer, I am nothing but Krsna’s eternal servant!”

Be indifferent when nonsense ideas or sinful thoughts arise. Do not welcome them with open arms. Bad thoughts will disappear by not identifying with them, and by telling yourself with conviction: “I do not want these thoughts. I have nothing to do with these thoughts.”

Gradually the mind will give up its nasty habits, and happily honor Krsna’s name and hold on to His lotus feet. This is dharana or concentration in japa.”

(from “Art of Chanting Hare Krishna” by Mahanidhi Swami)

No comments:

Post a Comment