Wednesday 24 August 2011

Nityo Nityanam! (A must read)

You are vibhu, and I am anu. You are great, and I am small. I like it that way. I am under Your protection, like a just-born elephant with his mama and tusked papa. I am anu and You are vibhu, like Hercules and his just-born offspring, protected from all raksasas and enemies. These are awkward metaphors. You protect me even from death personified by our bond of eternity.

nityo nityanam
cetanas cetananam
eko bahunam
yo vidadhati kaman

We are Your parts and parcels, eternal and blissful like You. But You are the One, and I am one of the countless, tiny many. I wish to be intimate with you and act as Your menial servant.

You are the greatest, but You like to be loved as a close friend or child in Goloka Vrndavana. You prefer rolling in the dust of Vrajaraja rather than riding in a palanquin or chariot bedecked with jewels. I want to play with You in the Vrajaraja and get dirty and have fun. I'd like to pick out special preparations of spinach and samosa and sweets for Your special sampling.

I'd like to do whatever You'd ask me to do and do it enthusiastically, even if it was a laborious task.

As long as I am a more distant, struggling sadhaka practicing devotional service in this mateiral world, I want to rise early in the morning and chant vigorous japa of Your holy names. I want to associate with Your devotees, treating them as my dearmost friends, and go on preaching adventures with them. I want to have a desire to give lectures on Krishna conscious siddhanta and answer peoples' questions about how to apply the philosophy. I want to desire to travel to a place where devotees are gathered and speak to them from Srimad-Bhagavatam and share kirtana with them. I want to counsel individuals and help them with their problems. I want to write a daily journal with poems and make prayers. I want to reach readers. I want to overcome difficulties in a good mood and be a happy, willing servant.

HH Satsvarupa Dasa Goswami Maharaja

No comments:

Post a Comment