Bhagavad-Gita Chapter 18 - Summary
S - Summary of Karma-yoga (Verses 1-18)
M - Modes of Nature (Verses 19 -40)
I - Ideal worker (Verses 41-55)
L- Love of God (Verses 56-66)
E - End Result (Verses 67-78)
What is Renunciation?
- Using our returns to serve (getting into the habit of giving) in the service of the Lord and the mission.
- Giving up ones likes and dislikes (I don't like this work& I like that work because it is simpler is not renunciation)
- Change ones attitude (although the senses & body demand and we make all endeavors to achieve that, but the ultimate deciding factor is Paramatma. So we should write our plans in pencil and give God the eraser because everything is in God's hand)
- The lord is beyond all our desires, endeavors, body and soul so we should remember we are not the doer
The Modes of Nature
Mode of Goodness: doing the work in a sense of detachment.
Mode of Passion: giving up work due to the trouble caused due to work, family;
Mode of Ignorance: giving up work out of illusion;
Mode of Goodness: determination for the right cause - serving God, devotees, people, society (never give up)
Mode of Passion:determined to get their desires fulfilled
Mode of Ignorance: determined by doing nothing - success in life depends on dreams - so they just sleep
Goodness: poison in the beginning but nectar in the end (faithful to wife and family, stop bad habits, quitting things harmful to health, chanting) - no pain no gain
Passion: nectar in the beginning and ends with poison (sensual indulgence but leads to health issues, broken families)
Ignorance: poison in beginning and end (laziness)
How to be ideal worker?
1. Know who you are i.e your Varna
2. Minimize the malpractice/fault on the work you have to do - be regretful
3. Use the results to serve Krishna
4. Always Chant the holy name which will purify us of the reactions of the things we hate to do
5. Be yourself and stop comparing and have the desire to want what others have
How to understand God?
- God can only be understood by devotion and not by analysis (only when you love Krishna, He is revealed)
What is surrender?
- I'm helpless Krishna and there are factors beyond my control
- To do all that is favorable to my spiritual practice and not do all that which is not favorable
We can understand God's will through Guru. How to identify Guru?
- It is not based on blind faith or mundane following. A balance of scriptural knowledge, worldly experience and connection to Krishna within the heart - He is Guru.
Who is dearest to Krishna?
Anyone who shares this message of the Gita to others, sponsoring Gita etc., (Krishna loves to be glorified because he knows that the message of the Gita will benefit others)
1. Moving from my will to God's will: Gita began by saying that I want to do things my way and at the end Arjuna says that I will do what You want (God knows that is best for us more than we know what is good for us)
2. Spiritual joy
3. Opulence, victory, power and morality
[From a lecture by HG Gaur Gopal Prabhu at ISKCON Chowpatty on Jan 14, 2013 on Bhagavad Gita Ch 18]