Saturday 25 February 2012

A Vaisnava feels for others ..


This is the moral instruction by Canakya Pandita.


matrvat para-daresu
para-dravyesu lostravat
atmavat sarva-bhutesu
yah pasyati sa panditah


He is giving the description of pandita in three ways: "One who sees all women except his wife as mother -- he is pandita One who takes others' money as garbage on the street -- he is pandita. And one who sees everyone, even to the ant, like himself, that ‘If I, if somebody pin, pricks pin on my body, I get, I suffer. I feel pain. So why shall I give pain even to an ant?' " Atmavat sarva-bhutesu. In a higher sense...


 

Just like Vaisnava. Vaisnava, Prahlada Maharaja. He is feeling for... Para-duhkha-duhkhi. This is Vaisnava's business, because a Vaisnava, when he comes to become Krsna conscious, he can understand that "What I was previously and what I am now." Actually one is... He's happy. He feels that... Yam labdhva caparam labham manyate nadhikam tatah. "So why these people should suffer without Krsna consciousness?" That is samah sarvesu bhutesu. Therefore preaching required. He preaches. 

So atmavat sarva-bhutesu. A Vaisnava feels for others. A Vaisnava understands that "Those who are not Krsna conscious, those who have forgotten Krsna, they are rotting under the spell of maya. Let us do something for them." That is Vaisnava. Just like Prahlada Maharaja said, naivodvije para duratyaya, duratyaya-vaitaranyah: "I am not afraid of the indefatigable vaitarani." It is said in the sastra that you have to cross the vaitarani before going to the spiritual world. So Prahlada Maharaja said that "I am not afraid of this vaitarani. It is very easy." Tvad-virya-gayana-mahamrta-magna-cittah: "Because I know simply by glorifying Your Lordship, I am..., I can do that." Harer nama harer nama harer namaiva kevalam [Adi 17.21]. That is quite possible. Param vijayate sri-krsna-sankirtanam. So a pure Vaisnava like Haridasa Thakura can simply chant. Caitanya Mahaprabhu advised anyone, especially His confidential devotees... Just like Raghunatha dasa Gosvami. He was advised that "You chant and don't eat very palatable food. Don't dress yourself very gorgeously." This instruction... But the chanting. Everyone was advised, whoever went to Caitanya Mahaprabhu, that "You chant."

So Prahlada Maharaja said that "I know..." Tvad-virya-gayana-mahamrta-magna-cittah. "I can... I have no problem because I have understood what is the value of chanting Your holy name. But I have got another business." What is that? Soce tato vimukha-cetasah: "I am simply concerned with these rascals who are not Krsna conscious." Soce tato vimukha-cetasah: "They are busy that maya-sukhaya bharam udvahato vimudhan [SB 7.9.43]. for maya-sukha, temporary material happiness, they have made very, very gorgeous arrangement," very, very big, big skyscraper building and very, very nice road, very, very nice car, and nice dress, nice this, nice nightclub, this club -- simply for maya-sukhaya. "This happiness is temporary. Still, they have forgotten Krsna, which will make their life successful and happy. They do not know." Maya-sukhaya bharam. Bharam means humbug, humbugism. Maya-sukhaya bharam udvahato vimudhan [SB 7.9.43]. "Those who have arranged like that," soce, "I am lamenting for them." This is Vaisnava. Para-duhkha-duhkhi krpambudhir yas tam aham prapadye.

Ref. VedaBase => Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.8.29 -- Mayapura, October 9, 1974

No comments:

Post a Comment